Outdoor weddings are becoming an incredibly popular and beautiful way for couples to tie the knot. Anything from barn scenes to rustic stone can be used as a backdrop and setting for a wedding.
The ornate details of nature contrast wonderfully with the elegance and simplicity of more modern weddings, but they also pair well with more ornate weddings as well. The stark difference of a brilliant white draws the eye toward the bride and keeps the whole affair classy and interesting.
Because outdoor weddings are becoming so popular, outdoor venues are rising up all over the world. Ancient castles, beautiful forests, and historical sites all serve the purpose and work nicely for desiring couples. Wedding planning has never been so fun and interesting when literally no area is off limits.
One of the many perks of outdoor wedding planning is the unlimited space you can achieve in the right area. Open meadows, glades, or shady areas within forests make for wonderful places that large groups can gather in with ease. What’s even better is that oftentimes you’ll find the reception area is able to be nearby as well, and can even be a separate part of the outdoors.
Imagine sitting underneath a canopy of trees alongside family and friends, with twinkling lights and beautiful music. Outdoor weddings are the things of fairytales. Their whimsical nature lends to the imagination and lets everyone at the wedding enjoy a beautiful evening and event. So let your imagination run wild as you enjoy these pictures of amazing outdoor weddings and ceremonies. Each one showcases a different part of what you can do with your own fairy tale wedding and how you can personalize it to be a day that lives on in everyones mind as picture perfect.
Gallery Wedding Photo Sessions – range from 1 to 50 photos out of 200
1. This bride and groom utilize stark color contrasts of navy and white. It balances the rugged natural appeal of the stone building and bright fall colors in the landscape. Dramatic arches create a large and wide space that allows you to breath and enjoy the atmosphere.
2. Playing off of the soft natural feeling of the woods, this couple is dressed in traditional black and white with a pastel palette for the bouquet. Elegant earrings and classic jewelry make it feel high class and even slightly antique. The wooded walkway behind them is a beautiful backdrop and showpiece of the area.
3. The historic Coliseum makes for an amazing photo backdrop. This bride is wearing an elegant lace and figure complimenting gown. The soft angles are a lovely way to compliment the ancient feel of the landmark she is situated against. The almost Roman neckline is a great touch that adds a bit of authenticity to the image.
4. There’s not much better for wedding photography than natural wind that sweeps up a beautiful veil. This attractive dress features a large skirt that can sway with the wind or in the first dance, and moves magically with the natural elements at play in an outdoor wedding. Being in an area with large trees allows everything to feel like it is all one, since the wind would move both the trees and the dress at the same time.
5. Beach weddings aren’t always so dramatic, but this one certainly is. The rocky outcroppings and white foamy waves are a splendid natural touch to this wedding photo. The bride is wearing a form fitting straight topped gown that gives clean angles and lines, complimenting the jagged feel of the rocks. The simple hairdo and necklace keep the focus on what’s most appealing: the natural landscape and the bride.
6. Breathtaking scenes, like this one of the bride atop a cliff, create amazing pictures. Her mermaid style skirt makes a sensuous shape against the more harsh lines of the cliff face. The colors of the moss green and backdrop of deep ocean blue are a beautiful touch and would do well for the rest of the wedding palette as well.
7. Lavender fields are not only incredibly aromatic but can make a beautiful setting for a wedding venue. The tall purple stems and flowers, when in bloom, can even be a part of the wedding colors and decoration. This bride has a dress that incorporates a natural pattern of leaves, playing well with the open environment and feel.
8. The overhanging trellis used at the location for this dream wedding makes for an amazing walkway or aisle. The rich dark wood lends itself easily to a natural theme. The green ivy growing up and over is an elegant touch as well. The bride and groom wearing traditional colors with a pastel color scheme for the flowers. The blending of rich tones and soft hues keeps it varied and interesting.
9. Smoky and mysterious, this woodsy setting is perfect if you’re looking for something different and unique. The sunlight coming through the fog is breathtaking, creating the most amazing backdrop for pictures. The couple have kept things simple with black and white, but the brides gown is an intricate lace and tulle, matching the foggy landscape well.
10. Bright, springy days call for energy and unique color schemes. The setting for this wedding is a shadowy lane with vibrant shadowy patterns created by the sun. To match the area, the bride is wearing a unique V-neck wedding dress with a feathery skirt, while the groom is dressed in a pastel blue. The bridesmaids dresses could easily join the color scheme, matching the groom or going with a color of their own.
10. Nothing beats wearing a tiara in a field of Queen Anne’s Lace. The tall and slender wildflowers are perfect for wedding décor or backdrop, with their white flowers. The bride’s gown is even made of a lace bodice, almost as if she had planned this picture all along.
11. Not all outdoor weddings need to take place in the sunshine or during the day. This couple poses in the middle of an evening wood, and the tall pine trees leave plenty of space between the trunks to peak through to the natural fire light or lamps in the background. The bed of pine needles nicely compliments the soft feathery patterns of the gown and hair piece.
12. Spring lilac backdrops this gorgeous shot, and the gravel driveway connects the viewer to a feeling of being in on the property of a mansion. The gown is layered and flowy, with detailed lacing drawing the eye in. A dramatic bow around the bouquet is a great touch, making it seem very high-class, and the bouquet itself is filled with green and lavender, keeping the soft appearance given by the bride.
13. Bright locations, like those in tropical areas or on beaches, call for bright colors in the wedding. The water in the background here is an astonishing bright blue, and you can see that the bride has chosen bright colors for her bouquet. Her long trailing veil is very vogue and beautiful in the wind.
14. If you’re outside and don’t want to be on land, try a wedding on a boat. This venue sits alongside beautiful rolling hills and atop blue waters. The bride looks happy holding her flowers and posing in a pirate themed dress, complete with romantic ruffles and layers.
15. This very traditional scene involves an old stone bridge and full grown trees and foliage. The natural bright green and grey brown of the stone provide a beautiful setting. The bride is wearing a V-neck gown and has kept both her hair and dress simple, highlighting the beauty of natural appearance in both nature and herself.
16. The antique staircase creates a unique contrast to the clean appearance of the brides gown. Looking down from her step, this bride is cloaked in a silky and ruffled gown, with different textures and a straight bodice. Leaving her hair down and in simple, natural curls has kept the attention going towards the dress.
17. Choosing to have their venue in an open field, this couple is surrounded by thick green woods and a field of wildflowers. A full, princess skirt is a fun companion to the full leaves and natural breeze flowing through the area. Choosing to go with bright colors, the groom is sporting a distinct blue that stands out from the natural colors around him.
18. Historical and antique looking places can be incredible spots to make lifelong portraits. The ancient feel one gets in the this picture is a perfect balance to the fresh newness of marriage and wedlock. Her scoop-necked bodice is a combination of lace overlay, while her tulle skirt and veil are classy and flowing touches.
19. A dramatic stone mansion sits in the back of this image, a beautiful gray and brown that lends to rustic décor and theme. The bride is wearing a headpiece that harkens back to early 20th Century, and her dress is a beautiful blend of form fitting and tulle skirt. Because it is not too full, she will be easily able to dance the evening away.
20. Natural stone lends itself easily to elegance, as seen in this image. The off white of the building and stairway are a great match to the bride’s gown. She has kept her hair simple and able to move with the wind, creating a natural and earthy appearance. A soft feather in her hair is a beautiful touch.
21. This beautiful green glade is full of a mossy-looking floor, ferns, and tall trees. The bright and living green of it makes an amazing setting for this couple. They are wearing traditional black and white. The skirt of the gown is flowing and light fabric, beautiful to watch as she dances or moves.
22. Backgrounds don’t always have to be just in the back. This antique stairwell is used as a prop for this image, and the photography clearly enjoyed playing on the delicate and flowing appearance of the bride against the stoic stiffness of the stone. The bride’s dress is a beautiful princess shape with a large bell-shaped skirt, a dramatic appearance.
22. Sometimes, if the weather is inclement, it’s better to find a well-lit area with glimpses of the outdoors. This stairwell makes for a beautiful replacement, with it’s curving ascension and natural colors. The gown is a bold statement with a full skirt and cinched waist, accentuating her small figure. The tulle is finished with a lace design at the bottom, creating a classy touch.
22. When using a larger area of property, you can almost make a story out of a photo. This image captures a large pavilion, a staircase, and the stone house all in one shot. The bride leans slightly away from the staircase, allowing her dress to create a beautiful slanted shape with her body. Her hair is kept simple by staying down and natural.
23. Nautical weddings can be a glamorous affair. The deep blue of this ocean, with the endless horizon and white puffy clouds, make for an amazing backdrop. The bride and groom have taken on a relaxed appearance, mainly seen in the suspendered look of the groom and the open back of the bride’s dress. A flowing skirt and mid-length veil allow that natural ocean breeze to play a part in the picture as well.
24. Sandy beach scenes can help create a very earthy and relaxed feel for a wedding. This beach is free from everything but an ocean backdrop. The bride is wearing a very flowing gown that drapes over the shoulders and falls down to her toes. Her bouquet features colors that are perfectly between pastel and bright, allowing it to be lively but not overbearing.
25. The transition seasons can be incredibly beautiful times for a wedding. This walkway is lined with bright yellow bushes that accent the gray of the path quite well. The groom is wearing an informal outfit, featuring jeans and a dark navy vest. His hat is a fun touch to the image. The bride has a sweetheart neckline with thick laced spaghetti straps.
26. This photography really played with his natural stone and antique surrounding, taking advantage of the water’s reflection to add another dimension to the photo. The bride’s dress is a spunky contrast to the traditional feel of the building and area. Her short skirt design in front is accented by a train, and the feathery texture and fabric are a vibrant display of her personality.
26. A large stone and green bushes backdrop this evening photo. Her unique dress design rightly stands out on it’s own and takes center stage. With jewels adorning the top of a sweetheart neckline, this bride’s appearance creates a loud statement. She has kept her hair curly and placed a feather in it to match the dress.
27. A pleasant grove and field is an excellent place to sit for a portrait session. The high green grass and road leading away behind her give depth to the image. This bride is wearing a long flowing gown that sits very well and doesn’t gather like tulle would. Her hair beautifully curls at the ends.
28. The water on this beach gently comes up against the stones and cliff and in the background. Her flowing skirt is an excellent choice for beach weddings, and the tight stiff bodice creates a unique contrast.
29. The deep greens of this garden cast a mysterious hue over the couple, a very romantic touch. Her dress is a soft sweetheart neckline with jewels both above and below. She has kept her hair tight and clean and placed a veil on the back.
30. The natural colors of brown and green are a great touch to this image, especially in the form of the fallen tree they are using as a prop. The bride is wearing an off-white gown and groom as well is matching in his tuxedo. Her ruffled skirt gives a fun playful texture.
31. A great part of outdoor weddings is the ability to use animals, like this wedding does in the form of a horse on the beach. The bride follows an equestrian theme with her tight corseted bodice and off shoulder top design. The simple, yet elegant, skirt would look fantastic riding side-saddle.
32. This rustic setting creates a punky abandoned feel and the red bricks give a great color to play off of. The bride enjoyed this atmosphere, clearly expressing her unique sense of style with a black lace choker and thick black waistband. The leather gloves and bright red rose are a great touch.
33. The evening colors make this scene very mysterious, and the dramatic cliff face in the background makes it seem like an image out of Peter Pan. The bride is embracing the feel of the area, and formed veil gives a beautiful and eerie touch to the image. Her flowing skirt does well against the rugged rocks.
34. This spring couple is surrounded by blossoming trees and textured ground cover. Her gown is a formed fabric that looks as though it’s caught in the wind. His simple shirt and slacks make the scene very comfortable and romantic.
35. The old brick and green overgrowth make this seem like it’s on a large family property. Her touch of draping flowers and small sun umbrella do nicely with the feel of the picture. A cinched, lacy waist pairs perfectly with her elbow-length gloves.
36. A bright and bubbly beach and water are an excellent backdrop for a happy wedding. This laughing bride is having a great time in a simple dress and white choker. Her hair is down and naturally straight, and the scoop neck design gives a classy touch.
37. Posing against a line of island huts and in front of a beautiful tropical beach, this bride is clearly enjoying her wooden pier and beautiful wedding day. Her bouquet is bright colored tropical flowers, an excellent play on the location. She’s even tied in the bouquet with a hair piece.
38. Bright white beaches and a brilliant blue sea are the location for this wedding. The bride has nicely tied in the blue with a sash around her waist. Her dress is simple and flowing, and the groom is wearing a clean white.
39. Taking things to a whole new level, the scene here is high on an island mountain with a grand view of the ocean behind. To make things more dramatic, the bride has gone untraditional with large high heels and a short skirt design. The couple tie things together with a bright red.
39. A flowing veil adds a fresh element to the image, reminding you that you’re high on an island in the breeze. You can see that the bride is wearing a unique glove design and beautiful jeweled tiara.
39. On the edge of this cliff is a great spot to pose for a natural and more romantic image. The stone bluff keeps a natural touch. The shoes and bouquet have been laid aside, making a cute part of the picture, and creating a relaxed atmosphere for the couple.
40. The tall grasses of this beach, especially in the evening, can be a romantic getaway moment. While the two brides on the end are wearing traditional white, the bride’s gown in the middle is a creamy peach color that blends with the grass nicely. Two of the gowns have tight ruffles, making a fun feel, while the other is a more tradition skirt.
41. This bright green field makes for great running and happy faces. The ruffles of the skirts are amazing when in movement, especially for dancing, and the photographer had a great time using them to his advantage. The middle dress features an interesting style of sweetheart neckline.
42. This beautiful field of blooming trees makes an amazing backdrop or prop. The ruffles on the dress on the far left have a beautiful pattern that almost matches the trees and flowers themselves. The middle dress is a nice white that goes well with the blooms.
43. This scene feels very Italian, with it’s tan stone walls and old ivy growth. The bride is beautiful in her flowing skirt and innocent appearance. She is wearing a unique armlet and bracelet combination that also has sleek lines.
44. The pretty brown and gray combination of the stone backdrop is made even better with the green growth climbing up the side. The bride is wearing natural curls and a beautiful white gown that fits her waist nicely. Her bouquet is a simple and elegant white.
45. The high stone walls and face of the house behind this bride make a beautiful setting. Showcasing her flowy dress, the bride happily holds it up and spreads the skirt out. The high neckline is a classy and modest touch.
46. This is a sleek outdoor area, with modern steps, lines, and stone walkways. The bride fits in nicely with her fitted gown. The dress is covered in jewels and has a nice sweetheart neckline.
47. This island setting is amazing, sitting atop a stone path with towns and hills underneath. Going with the untraditional, the bride is wearing a gorgeous red gown that has a scoop neck and flowing skirt. The longer sleeves are an elegant touch as well, and she has kept her hair down to wave in the wind.
48. Island weddings can be very romantic, understandably so when there is a beautiful ocean view behind you. This couple has spiced things up a bit. The bride’s gown has a slit up the side, allowing her to showcase her legs. The groom is earing simple short sleeves to stay cool in the weather.
49. With a vibrant blue behind them and an eye-catching little village, this couple has it all. Her short gown is a nice unique touch, allowing her to stay cool in the hot island weather. His casual appearance is kept classy with a blue ribbon on the fedora.
49. Beautiful islands and an ocean view sit in the back of this wedding. Her short sleeved gown stays elegant with a lace pattern. The groom is able to stay matching with a white polo and light colored trousers.
50. Tall grasses are a great opportunity to take romantic angles, and the backdrop of a forest gives a nice natural touch. The bride has kept her hair up but allowed some to cascade down in a beautiful way. Her gown is lacy but light enough to flow in the breeze.